If willing to experiment and build a Patio Cover in Hanahan, hammer out questions as to why you need a Patio Cover, for what purpose, whether it would be painted or made with wood, prefabricated aluminum or PVC, and if permission is required from state or city authorities. Remember that a patio is an extension of the house, generally not more than 12 feet and single-storied. In most Hanahan locations, the patio can be fully covered or have no cover. No special skills are required for building a Patio Cover except co-coordinating your patience, the dimension of an area, number of wood or aluminum panels and material required.
Building a Patio Cover in Hanahan
As a general rule, you should always purchase patio enclosure building material that comes as modular systems, so that you can easily adjust them to fit a compact space in a small city apartment or a sprawling yard in a large country house. Modular enclosures are actually quite common these days. Just visit any home depot shop to talk to an authorized representative. They usually accommodate requests for custom made patio enclosures (for a higher price, of course). They will typically visit your home to do the measurements and will install the enclosure free of charge once it is done.
Patio enclosure materials
Also, be sure to choose only the best materials for your structure. The most common ones are toughened safety glass and fiberglass. Frames come in different materials and designs, too. Mid-range patio enclosures have aluminum frames, while luxury glass enclosures have chrome, silver or gold frames.
Aluminum carports and patio covers have become a popular and attractive home improvement. The product itself has been in use for years. As a light weight and durable material, aluminum can be a great alternative to stick built or steel structures. Features, colors, and styles have evolved over the years to give homeowners many choices. Today we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of these popular aluminum structures.
1) Durability - My parents have been living in the same house for over 30 years. Their patio cover was installed in the late 1960s, and is still standing and functional. This product will stand the test of time with little more than a cleaning once a year. Most companies engineer their units to withstand wind and snow loads. As a result, baring natural weather disasters, your patio cover or carport should give you years of use.
2) Attractive - As stated above with a little maintenance your carport or patio cover will stay looking good for years. The aluminum pans will never rust. There are a variety of colors to choose from and several styles of framework that should satisfy any homeowner.
3) Structural simplicity - Because of the light weight nature of aluminum, a patio cover can be attached directly to your patio slab, and carports can be attached directly to your driveway. Also attachment to the house requires minimal anchoring. Note: some areas may require posts to be set in concrete, check with the codes department in your area. One of the best advantages of Aluminum structures is the minimum fall required for installation. Aluminum carports and patio covers require only ¼" of fall /ft. spanned. A shingled roof requires a minimum of 4" of fall /ft spanned, which often creates problems with head room on the outside.
4) Functionality - Very few home improvement projects can provide the quality usefulness that an aluminum patio cover or carport can. Patio covers over decks and patios offer escape from direct sun and weather, and can make them much more useful and enjoyable. Aluminum carports (free standing or attached) can provide great shelter for your vehicles when a garage is not available .
1) Bird Nests - The W-pan aluminum is notorious for attracting birds. There are several plugs that manufacturers offer and it is highly recommended you insist on these at the time of installation. They do add cost but will save you from the endless hassle of cleaning out the pans.
2) Trees - All Aluminum carports and patio covers come with built in gutters and downspouts, in the fall if you live in a wooded area leaves are a constant problem. Since aluminum structures do not require as much slope on the roof, leaves and debris is much more likely to accumulate. The most common problem I see is where this accumulation of leaves is left unattended, stopping up gutters, backing up water and ultimately causing the panels to bow and leak.
3) Rust on framework - Most aluminum patio covers and carports are installed with steel bar joists, and posts, and while painted before installation, the natural exposure to the elements will eventually cause the parts to show rust (especially at ground contact)
4) Hail - The single most, problem with aluminum carports and patio covers is hail. We replace several of these each year. Because of the light weight nature of aluminum a hail storm can leave small unattractive dings in the panels. Most homeowners insurance cover this and in most cases if hail is hard enough you will have other damage to your home
As a contractor for many years, I have learned to appreciate the functional beauty of aluminum carports and patio covers. The advantages of these products far out weigh the disadvantages. Almost all the disadvantages can be prevented with simple maintenance.
Professional Deck and Patio Contractors For Captivating Outdoor Living Solutions
Selecting a Patio Cover Design is a personal choice. If an architect designed the patio then the cover has to be of appropriate quality and custom made. But if the patio has been done by you, then decide on a cover that is easily fixed and durable. The neighbor's Patio Cover does look good but it might be out of budget or would not match with house layout and usage. The patio could be for general use or a utility room to place a grill, clothes hanger, a table and few chairs; for entertaining purposes; a hobby or recreation room or an all weather living area for you and family pets.
Consult friends and magazines and do not go by availability. Designs are plentiful, from colored or striped awnings for partial covers, patio umbrellas for limited area cover, or solid aluminum or wood patio covers for complete protection against sun and rain. The wood or aluminum wood Patio Cover could be practical and fashionable and is available in a lattice or dome-shaped design. These covers are made of the highest quality material and do not twist, rot, warp or decay. Wood is being replaced with aluminum as it is maintenance-free, providing protection from the sun and rain for extended periods. Solar design patio covers are ideal in areas with plenty of sunlight. These covers, along with offering shade, produce clean and environmentally friendly electricity.
Selecting a Patio Cover Design also depends on the décor and shape of structure supporting it. A solid cover design is a good choice if you want to block out sun and rain or do not want to cover or remove outdoor items. In this case, an alternate would be to cover a portion of the patio with a solid roof and other half with lattice design. Another Patio Cover Design is pergola, which complements an attractive backyard. One can create a relaxing outdoor atmosphere with a pergola structure either attached to the house or free standing. The angled slats give an airy feeling and at same time block sun to provide comfortable shade.
If you are a practical person then select a gable Patio Cover framed with aluminum rafters with no visible fastening system or ugly screws. If you really want to make full use of the patio in rain and sunshine then have a clear canopy made with indestructible polycarbonate with aluminum frames that will not rust. The canopy is available in clear and bronze tints.
Begin with the necessary spadework according to weather conditions, area, and usage of a patio. The next step is selecting material from a comprehensive range, including polycarb panels for high summer or winter temperatures, vinyl opaque all weather conditions, vinyl translucent and clear panels suitable for use in milder weather conditions, aluminum pan roof that is cool, durable and requiring little maintenance, or Hanahan providing insulation for a strong low-maintenance roof in Hanahan location. The panels should fit and install easily, and offer design flexibility. Check if the gutter system is accessible for cleaning whether it is w-pan gutter, roll form gutter or extruded gutter and valance.