If willing to experiment and build a Patio Cover in Mount Pleasant, hammer out questions as to why you need a Patio Cover, for what purpose, whether it would be painted or made with wood, prefabricated aluminum or PVC, and if permission is required from state or city authorities. Remember that a patio is an extension of the house, generally not more than 12 feet and single-storied. In most Mount Pleasant locations, the patio can be fully covered or have no cover. No special skills are required for building a Patio Cover except co-coordinating your patience, the dimension of an area, number of wood or aluminum panels and material required.
Building a Patio Cover in Mount Pleasant
As a general rule, you should always purchase patio enclosure building material that comes as modular systems, so that you can easily adjust them to fit a compact space in a small city apartment or a sprawling yard in a large country house. Modular enclosures are actually quite common these days. Just visit any home depot shop to talk to an authorized representative. They usually accommodate requests for custom made patio enclosures (for a higher price, of course). They will typically visit your home to do the measurements and will install the enclosure free of charge once it is done.
Patio enclosure materials
Also, be sure to choose only the best materials for your structure. The most common ones are toughened safety glass and fiberglass. Frames come in different materials and designs, too. Mid-range patio enclosures have aluminum frames, while luxury glass enclosures have chrome, silver or gold frames.
Aluminum carports and patio covers have become a popular and attractive home improvement. The product itself has been in use for years. As a light weight and durable material, aluminum can be a great alternative to stick built or steel structures. Features, colors, and styles have evolved over the years to give homeowners many choices. Today we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of these popular aluminum structures.
1) Durability - My parents have been living in the same house for over 30 years. Their patio cover was installed in the late 1960s, and is still standing and functional. This product will stand the test of time with little more than a cleaning once a year. Most companies engineer their units to withstand wind and snow loads. As a result, baring natural weather disasters, your patio cover or carport should give you years of use.
2) Attractive - As stated above with a little maintenance your carport or patio cover will stay looking good for years. The aluminum pans will never rust. There are a variety of colors to choose from and several styles of framework that should satisfy any homeowner.
3) Structural simplicity - Because of the light weight nature of aluminum, a patio cover can be attached directly to your patio slab, and carports can be attached directly to your driveway. Also attachment to the house requires minimal anchoring. Note: some areas may require posts to be set in concrete, check with the codes department in your area. One of the best advantages of Aluminum structures is the minimum fall required for installation. Aluminum carports and patio covers require only ¼" of fall /ft. spanned. A shingled roof requires a minimum of 4" of fall /ft spanned, which often creates problems with head room on the outside.
4) Functionality - Very few home improvement projects can provide the quality usefulness that an aluminum patio cover or carport can. Patio covers over decks and patios offer escape from direct sun and weather, and can make them much more useful and enjoyable. Aluminum carports (free standing or attached) can provide great shelter for your vehicles when a garage is not available .
1) Bird Nests - The W-pan aluminum is notorious for attracting birds. There are several plugs that manufacturers offer and it is highly recommended you insist on these at the time of installation. They do add cost but will save you from the endless hassle of cleaning out the pans.
2) Trees - All Aluminum carports and patio covers come with built in gutters and downspouts, in the fall if you live in a wooded area leaves are a constant problem. Since aluminum structures do not require as much slope on the roof, leaves and debris is much more likely to accumulate. The most common problem I see is where this accumulation of leaves is left unattended, stopping up gutters, backing up water and ultimately causing the panels to bow and leak.
3) Rust on framework - Most aluminum patio covers and carports are installed with steel bar joists, and posts, and while painted before installation, the natural exposure to the elements will eventually cause the parts to show rust (especially at ground contact)
4) Hail - The single most, problem with aluminum carports and patio covers is hail. We replace several of these each year. Because of the light weight nature of aluminum a hail storm can leave small unattractive dings in the panels. Most homeowners insurance cover this and in most cases if hail is hard enough you will have other damage to your home
As a contractor for many years, I have learned to appreciate the functional beauty of aluminum carports and patio covers. The advantages of these products far out weigh the disadvantages. Almost all the disadvantages can be prevented with simple maintenance.
11 Ways to Turn Your Patio Into a Garden
Aluminum patio covers offer an attractive and popular home improvement. It has been in use for many years. It is a durable lightweight material. There are many choices, colors and styles of aluminum covers.
These covers are durable. They are last to years with little maintenance. They can withstand snow loads, wind, sun and rain. They will last for years. Aluminum never rusts. There are a variety of colors and styles to select from.
Because aluminum is light weight it is easy to attach to your roof and patio slab. It requires little anchoring to the house. Aluminum covers require minimal fall for installation.
An aluminum cover is great for a home improvement project. These covers protect against the sun and other weather conditions. One downfall of aluminum patios is they tend to attract nesting birds. There are plugs for the aluminum pans to prevent this.
It come with downspouts and gutters, which may need to be cleared of leaves from time to time. If they are not cleared they can block up the gutters and eventually cause them to leak.
The aluminum panels themselves do not rust but the steel joists and posts can rust, even if painted. Hail is the biggest weather problem with aluminum covers. Hail can leave dings in the panels. Homeowner's insurance should cover any damage.
These covers are very functional and attractive. The advantages of these covers far outweigh the disadvantages. Simple upkeep can prevent the disadvantages.
Aluminum covers are durable and affordable. They are easily maintained with minimum cost. They provide shade from the sun and protection from the rain and other elements. A unique design for your covers can add a beautiful addition to your home.
There are many different types of covers but aluminum patio covers are the simplest to maintain. It will not rust and will stand up against the elements. This is important if you live in warmer climates when your patio cover can be exposed to a lot of direct sunlight and salt water. Aluminum can also not be damaged from termites.
Maintaining aluminum patio covers just takes a little soap and water. It is rare that the cover will ever need painting, unless you change the color scheme of your house. If the situation arises from it is a simple procedure to clean the patio cover and follow painting of aluminum instructions.
Insulated Patio Covers
Begin with the necessary spadework according to weather conditions, area, and usage of a patio. The next step is selecting material from a comprehensive range, including polycarb panels for high summer or winter temperatures, vinyl opaque all weather conditions, vinyl translucent and clear panels suitable for use in milder weather conditions, aluminum pan roof that is cool, durable and requiring little maintenance, or Mount Pleasant providing insulation for a strong low-maintenance roof in Mount Pleasant location. The panels should fit and install easily, and offer design flexibility. Check if the gutter system is accessible for cleaning whether it is w-pan gutter, roll form gutter or extruded gutter and valance.